Home > Forum > Artwork and Graphics > Art Work Detail and Copy Right
Art Work Detail and Copy Right
  • Posted By : crispintryhard
    Posted on: 18th November 2017 11:57 PM
    Hi!

I'm making a game for my mom for Christmas. She is absolutely Star Trek mad, and wanted to make the game based on that. I'm no artist though and was hoping to use some screen caps from the show- people's faces, a couple images of the enterprise, things like that.

So my first question is- is this possible in a technical sense? All the images of cards on your website use very simplistic art, are more complex, photo like images possible?

Secondly, and keeping it in mind that I intend to make one copy NOT for resale or publishing or anything of the sort, will there be a problem copy right wise with using screen caps from the shows? Does that count as art? Does the fact that the caps will be on custom designed cards, and not by them selves, make a difference?

My appologies for the questions, I am very green at this sort of thing.
  • Posted By : Ivory
    Posted on: 20th November 2017 8:38 AM
    Hi crispintryhard,

Unfortunately we cannot print any licensed or copy righted material without written consent from the owner of the rights.
    My best advice would to right to them or someone who does own some artwork you can use and request some written consent to allow you to print a personal version non for sale purposes.

Regards,
    Ash.
    Posted on: 21st November 2017 11:35 AM
    Just to be clear taking screen shots from a tv show (which I own) counts as licenced or copy righted material?

And the problem is not the nature of the image (that is to say, of Star Trek) but the origin? So if I were to make my own art depicting Star Trek characters and images, that would be OK? I need to be absolutely sure before I spend several hours drawing pictures of the enterprise. Thanks!

Posted on: 23rd November 2017 7:09 PM
    Bump!!!
  • Posted By : Ivory
    Posted on: 24th November 2017 9:10 AM
    Hi crispintryhard,

Sorry for the delay in response, when you say you own the show, do you mean creators rights or simply that you would be taking screen shots from a show you own a copy of?
    Best thing I can advise is to try and find somewhere with some Public Domain imagery to use or work from for your artwork.

Regards,
    Ash.
Sorry you must be logged in to post.